Thursday, April 11, 2019

A Perfect Pair



This outfit just makes me happy!  I love the way the unique sleeves work with this dress!  It is my go-to outfit when I need a little bit of extra magic in my day!


Patterns:

Overall Dress– Kommatia Skirt Style No SK702
I watched Gabby and Megan make this pattern on Gabby's YouTube channel (vlog28) and I fell in love with it.  The back design was just what I was looking for.  The pattern was very easy to put together.  I was a bit worried about the back yoke, but everything fit perfectly.  There were no pictures included in the directions, but each pattern piece has dots and numbers that line the seams up with each other. It was kind of like playing connect the dots while sewing and it made the whole process pretty effortless.

Beware this pattern is a micro-mini skirt!  So, I did add 8-inches to the length and I added a bit of width to the bottom half of the skirt.  Basically, I kept the side seam line straight instead of allowing it to taper in. 

Top – Adrienne Blouse by Friday Pattern Co.
There is a good reason why this pattern was such a runway hit.  It is a beautiful statement piece that is also super easy and fast to sew!  How often to do you find that combination in the pattern world?  It also only has three pattern pieces!  The way the shirt is put together makes it easy to adjust the fit at the end.  After I put it all together, I felt like the underarms were hanging a bit low (a common problem in my world).  So, I just took the whole seam were the sleeves connect to the front and back in a bit and voil!

I was a bit worried the sleeves would fall down or not stay in place as I went about my day, but they do!!  A bit of magic went in to the drafting of this pattern!

 

Fabric:

Kommatia Skirt Style SK702– Kaufman Ventana Twill Black
I had the Kaufman twill in my stash and it worked perfectly.  I lined the whole thing with black ambiance rayon because I will often wear it with leggings.

I think the drape and weight of this fabric was just perfect for this top.  I loved sewing and wearing this fabric so much I ordered it in more colors!


Thanks so much for stopping by and have a great day!


3 comments

  1. Love these photos, and the outfit is very trainee-witch (in the best way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your comment made my day. LOL

      Delete
  2. I just discovered you today, and have left a couple of comments on Pattern Review. On PR, I admired your brilliant pairing of this blouse and dress, which I consider unexpected. I note that you used Kaufman Ventana Twill for the dress, and want to share my experience with that fabric. When I discovered it, I thought it was so attractive, sturdy and versatile, that I ordered it in at least 4 colors. It has a nice heft to it for skirts and casual pants, and I made several things with it. I am sorry to say that the fabric did not wear well, and I ended up discarding all of it, and remaking the garments in something else. I donated the fabric, and felt a little guilty about whoever ultimately ends up with it, but it was either that or the landfill.

    The problems I had were these: 1. When I used it for the yoke and sleeves of a Tessuti Alice Top, the fabric lost its color where it bent at the arms, and also wherever the fabric was folded for hems. 2. I made several skirts with it, and found that I had to put a pressing cloth between the fabric and the seam allowances and pockets in order to iron without shiny marks showing the outline. With wear, the skirts lost their color at all of their folded edges, including waistband, seams, pockets and hems, and I discarded them.

    ReplyDelete

© Pincushion Chronicle. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.